In the past, we’ve shared a few strategies that can help a practice retain and attract new patients. As many practices take the earliest part of the year to make strategic growth plans, now’s the perfect time to start thinking about what you will do to show current patients you value their business.
The American Academy of Ophthalmology has some great suggestions for how you can attract the attention of current and potential patients. They include the following:
- – Prove to patients and potential patients of your availability by making an effort to see new patients and referrals as soon as possible – preferably in the same week they contact you.
- – See your patients on time. If their appointment is scheduled for 10:30 am, do everything possible to ensure the appointment starts on time. When the appointment starts, break the ice by engaging in light conversation, but make sure you also leave plenty of room to address the patient’s questions and/or explain a diagnosis or new examination device.
- – Revamp your website so that it closely reflects your practice’s brochures and patient education materials. It should also provide sufficient information for individuals in the process of choosing an eye care practitioner. Include your website’s URL on all marketing materials and advertisements. Also, consider creating a presence for your practice on sites like Facebook to further your reach.
- – Consider changing the free-standing sign in front of your practice if you have one. People who pass by on their drive to or from work, for example, will likely notice if your sign is changed to a new shape, size and/or color, which could lead to them walking in to inquire about your services.
- – Also make sure your patients and potential patients can easily recognize your commitment to quality service and care. This can include making sure you advertise new technology that will enhance a patient’s upcoming exam, or something as simple as resolving a billing issue as promptly as possible.
What are some strategies that have helped your practice attract new patients and retain those that have been with you for years? Leave a comment to share with us!
We’ve said it many times before and we’ll continue to say it – updating your practice’s retinal imaging technology is a great way to retain and attract new patients. Visit the Optos website to learn more about our innovative optomap® ultra-widefield retinal imaging technology and devices and how they can benefit your practice and patients.